Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Why I chose to write about Vampires



How did I get into writing about Vampires? Part of it was when I first read the Bible I was inspired by all the blood-drinking references and killer angels, and that also became the basis for one of my stories in which ancient angels were actually Vampires hidden by the church, fed with victims of the inquisition who the church called "heretics", and worshipped as "angels", and hidden and protected by the church in Bible verse. And I was always terrified of life-sized, blood-covered statues and those "incorruptible bodies of Saints" on display in churches---I always thought they were vampires as a child. So those images stuck with me. And that became one of the influences for my stories. It became a "what-if" scenario, and I took it a little further by also making my Vampire Guardian Angels into serial killers.

I'm also a fan of the "classic", "B-movie" vampires, (1980's vampire films such as Lost Boys and Fright Night), films such as 30 Days of Night,  From Dusk till Dawn, and Salem's Lot, and the Hammer Films with Christopher Lee such as the Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires. (Also check out my friend Charles E. Butler's homage to the Hammer Vampires in his book "Vampires Under the Hammer.) Vampires were what scared me the most so they were the perfect "monster" to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment