Saturday, November 16, 2013

What Inspires my Writing?



I often joke that I'm a "recovering Catholic". Since childhood, I used to be taught that instead of helping myself and finding a solution to my problems, that I should just suffer and pray and wait for something to "save" me and that something--often an angel---would solve all my problems for me.

But now,  I question a guardian angel’s "job" of protecting and helping humans, and why is it that we have to pray to something whenever we need help. I wanted to explore an alternate view that perhaps guardian angels are sick of us relying on them and that human whining and prayers just made them completely snap.

I call it "Heaven's Customer Service Hotline"  gone terribly wrong.  I wanted to create something disturbing from something supposedly protective, because we really don't know who or what it is we are praying to.

Since I was a child, I always questioned people's belief in a supernatural, supposedly higher power and why we relied on a supposedly higher supernatural power that we can’t see to save us.

And what better way to explore all this than through horror, since horror is a genre that pushes the envelope. I use it to question people’s beliefs in terms of what pop culture considers “saviors”, but in a fictional sense.

And just because I'm messing with people's  image of a guardian angel doesn't mean I'm condemning it or being disrespectful. I'm questioning it. I question why we put so much blind faith in a higher power to help us and we don't even know what it is we are summoning. That's the whole point of my books and films.

I've just taken "angel rebellion" to a more disturbing level.

Copyright Lia Scott Price

No comments:

Post a Comment