Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Turning the Ordinary into Something F'd Up: How I Write Horror


Copyright Lia Scott Price

"Look at what's 'normal' and f--k it up."

I like to play a "what-if" game when I write. I like to look at something normal, like a Guardian Angel, and see how f'd up I can make it into---a Vampire. A Serial Killer. I also like to take everyday situations and people and just turn them into something out of this world. That's the fun part about writing--to make it into a game and "push the envelope" and see how much more bizarre and unusual I can make my characters and stories. I like to f-up the ordinary and make it into something disturbing.

Another thing I like to do is have a TV show that is completely unrelated to horror playing in the background while I write (say, Animal Planet), and I won't read horror novels--I will read a totally different genre or even a magazine or watch a news channel. Then I let my imagination turn the ordinary into the extraordinary.

Please read my writing and self-publishing disclaimer here

No comments:

Post a Comment